|to the north||Broadmeadows, Johnsonville|
|to the east||Ngauranga, Rangoon Heights|
|to the south||Kaiwharawhara|
|to the west||Ngaio|
The suburb's name, which means "Resting place of God", comes from a homestead built in the area in 1884 by Captain James Andrew, who had recently returned from duty in India. For this reason the suburb and those surrounding it have many place names connected with the Indian subcontinent.
The northeastern part of the suburb is dominated by a large area of parkland, which stretches north towards Johnsonville. Between then the three parks that make up this reserve land total almost 2 km² of the slopes of Mount Kaukau. The summit of this 445-metre peak, which is topped by Wellington's main television transmitter tower, provides impressive views of the harbour. Khandallah has a reputation for being the most affluent of Wellington's northern suburbs.